Tuesday, March 27, 2012

whale cookies


A while back, a friend of a friend asked me to make a Hello Kitty cake for a bridal shower she was throwing.  It turned out that I went to highschool with her!  Then it turned out that she has another friend, who I went to highschool with, who was interested in having me make cookie favors for her son's first birthday party!  What a small world!


The party was going to have a whale theme, with the colors of light blue and light green.  So I ended up making light blue whale cookies, as well as light green "M" cookies (for the birthday boy who's name is Maxwell).  I used my favorite homade sugar cookie and royal icing recipes, but you could of course use store bought.  And for the shapes, I used the whale cookie cutter from this animal set, and the "M" cookie cutter from this alphabet set.


To decorate the whales, I first outlined them with stiff blue royal icing, and then filled them in with runny blue royal icing.  After letting them dry overnight, I outlined them again with stuff blue royal icing, and then added an eye with stuff black royal icing.  At that point I thought that I was done with the whales, but still something seemed to be missing.  Ah, the fin!  So I also piped on a little fin on each whale.


For the "M" cookies, I first outlined them with stiff pale green royal icing, filled them in with runny icing, and then let them dry overnight.  She had liked the way I had decorated my flower and letter bridal shower cookies, so I decorated the Ms the same way by piping the small white dots around the perimeters.



After all of the cookies were completely dry, I packaged each one in a cellophane bag tied with raffia and a custom favor tag.

Happy (belated) birthday Max!  Hope you had a wonderful party and enjoyed the cookies!


11 comments:

  1. They're so cute! I won't eat them...wait, maybe I will...just one. No! Two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really make my day :) cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have a website? Or take online orders?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes i take online orders! just send me an email with the details! :) thanks!

      Delete
  4. They are so adorable. I love the little whales.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you share your icing recipes?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi @Joanna ! you can actually find the icing recipe in my new book! http://amzn.to/1mEKwi2

      Delete
  6. Where can I find that whale cookie cutter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Melissa Shumaker - i got it on amazon, in a set of animal cookie cutters :) you can find it here:
      http://amzn.to/29ICNLr

      Delete