Sunday, July 16, 2017

hello kitty unicorn cake


For the past several years, when it's my birthday I make myself a cake! And it's always a Hello Kitty cake of some shape or form! This year I was inspired by unicorns, thanks to my daughter Melodie. :) She has a fascination and love of unicorns, and it has rekindled my childhood love of unicorns as well! For her birthday last year I made her a unicorn cake, complete with handmade fondant unicorn horn, and so when my birthday came around I thought it would be fun to give Hello Kitty with a unicorn horn too!


This year I wanted something light and fruity, so I settled vanilla chiffon cake, filled with lemon whipped cream and fresh blueberries.



Once all four 6-inch cake layers were filled and assembled, I covered the top and sides with freshly whipped cream, and smoothed it out with an offset spatula.


After adding a beaded border around the bottom of the cake, I simply added black eyes and whiskers and a yellow nose.



For Hello Kitty's ears I used fondant, which I rolled out to 1/8 inch thick and then used a paring knife to cut out triangles for her ears. Then I tinted a bit of fondant with red food coloring, and rolled it out as well, using a bow-shaped cookie cutter to get the perfect bow shape. Finally I finished it off by using an edible food marker to outline and add details to the bow.


And finally, the unicorn horn! (You can click here to see how I made this).


Gah!!! It makes me so happy!!! In my world, you can't go wrong with Hello Kitty and unicorns! :)


My mom invited us over and cooked up an amazing birthday meal for me! (My favorite was the chinese stuffed jalapeno peppers in the middle picture!)


And here's the inside of the cake!


Thanks to my family for celebrating with me!


5 comments:

  1. My stomach is growling just by looking at these pictures. You have baking talent, maybe you can start your own bakery or something because these are amazing and looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like hello kitty cake..thats my favorite..

    Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! when i saw this hello kitty cake i'm craving..because looks yummy.

    Claims Lawyers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just stumbled upon this adorable Hello Kitty Unicorn Cake blog post, and I couldn't resist leaving a comment, even though it's not related to cakes! 😊
    How to Find Dead Airpods

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely adore this Hello Kitty Unicorn Cake featured on your blog! It's simply magical, and the attention to detail is astonishing. The vibrant colors and the intricate design make it a perfect centerpiece for any celebration.
    Visit frugalishness

    ReplyDelete